b-hebrew - Re: traditions regarding tetragrammaton?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: traditions regarding tetragrammaton?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 08:01:14 +0200

Title: Re: traditions regarding tetragrammaton?
Dear Jay,

In "The Rule of the Community" (VI,27-VII,2) of the Qumran sect, there seems to be a prohibition against using the tetragrammaton.The text is broken, but a prohibition is the most likely interpretation. In some of the DSS texts we find the tetragrammaton in Old Hebrew characters, and I suppose this is what you call "Phoenician characters". These characters are used, according to the majority view, to indicate that the tetragrammaton should not be pronounced.

Many of the DSS manuscripts were written by other groups and were imported to Qumran. Some of these have the  tetragrammaton in Aramaic characters, and this may suggest that these groups used the name. In the Greek Qumran manuscript 8HevXIIgr we find the tetragrammaton in Micah 1:2. Before the tetragrammaton the Masoretic text has )A:DONFY and this is translated by KURIOS. This suggests that the Greek KURIOS  was used as a translation of )S.DONFY and was *not* used as a substitute of YHWH (See E. Tov "The Greek Minor prophets Scroll from Nahal Hever (1990), p 85.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

Rolf,
Wait, if the Qumran sect did not use the tetragram, then what are the Phoenician characters I am seeing on some of the DSS in the middle of the Aramaic script?  It's not YHWH?

Jay