b-hebrew - Re: Qoheleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Qoheleth
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:41:32 -0500

On 5/22 at 6:09 CDT Raymond de Hoop wrote:

< The philosophy of Qohelet does not fit the era of (David and) Solomon.
The kingdom was a state in its formative stage or a so-called early state.
The possible literary activity of that era was more concerned with
ideological and legitimating aspects of that state than with the philosophy
with which Qoheleth is troubling his mind. >

On this basis we could dismiss the philosophical writings of Jonathan
Edwards, who was, at the time, living in the "early state" (or pre-state)
of USA. Or else, we need to admit that sophisticated philosophy can
co-exist with politics in flux.

Dave Stabnow