b-hebrew - Re: Qoheleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Qoheleth
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:26:50 -0700

> At 22-05-2001 15:43 Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net> wrote:
>
> > Solomon is said to have
> > been a master of proverbs as well as politics, so the picture we
> > have of him is at least as philosophical as it is concerned with
> > politics.
>
> Dave, that is the picture the Hebrew Bible wants us to have from him. That
> is not necessarily the same as the historical picture. Try e.g. to compare
> the Jerusalem from the biblical picture (in DtrH) with the archaeological
> picture.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. The archaeological picture
is rather equivocal and depends a lot on one's assumptions and
dating methods. I don't intend to get into that with you, because
it's beyond the scope of the list. Once again, it's easy to say that
the picture in the HB "is not necessarily the same as the historical
picture." I could say the same thing about an account of your
birth, Raymond. Or mine. Or the life of Abraham Lincoln. The fact
is, you're beginning with certain assumptions, one of which
includes the maxim "It's not a good idea to take statements of
authorship at face value." I begin with the opposite assumption,
and they're both assumptions. Are you willing to grant that?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."