b-hebrew - RE: Qoheleth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Raymond de Hoop" <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Qoheleth
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:53:14 +0100

Thank you. You make a good analogy with the picture. Yes, I accept that the
Biblical picture of Solomon has been painted to present a particular image.
And it may have been retouched. But my point is more that we have almost no
way of telling what Solomon really looked like apart from this picture.
There is no alternative, historical picture, no photograph. Either we accept
the Biblical picture as something like correct, as the best we can do, or we
retreat into knowing nothing.

Peter Kirk