b-hebrew - Re: I AM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I AM
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:16:57 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Numberup AT worldnet.att.net>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 3:25 PM

> But when you say "the original intent" how do you
> come to this from a Hebrew perspective?

Solomon Landers,

Yes, i do want to leave it somewhat "open-ended" as far as the "I-AM" name.
This is because in the *second* part of the verse, the )EHYEH is clearly the
name by itself. So what does *that* name (forget 14a for a moment,
hypothetically) mean? I think it is reasonable from the perspective of usage
of )EHYEH with God as the subject in Hebrew that it is something of a
covenant formula, as i've given evidence in another post. For convenience,
here is the majority of it repeated:

The remainder of occurrences (22X) indicate a special relationship of God
with His people:
7 X "I will be with _______" (Exodus-Judges)
12 X "I will be a God to [My people]" (5X Jeremiah, 5X Ezekiel, Hos., Zech)
3 X "I will be a Father to [David's Son]" (Samuel)

> I have yet
> to see a Jewish commentary that argues for an open-
> ended "I AM" treatment of this text.

I do not intend this as condescending, but in terms of the meaning of our
passage to a 2nd mill. BC Jewish community, i'm not concerned about how
post-Christian or modern Jewish commentaries take it, unless they base their
conclusions on grammatical-historical exegesis.

> Are we really
> getting into the minds of the original target audience(s)
> of Exodus, or are we contemplating what the words mean
> to the Western mind?

Again, please reference my comments made elsewhere, which answer what i
assume to be your concern here. What is see is a *covenant* concept in "I-AM"
and i'm sure you will agree that did not originate in Western anachronistic
interpretation. I repeat that earlier response here for your convenience:

[Someone else had said:]
> And I find no logic in reconstituting the meaning of the text
> to imply that the Deity is requesting Moses to become a Greek
> philosopher and prove his mission by impressing the Hebrew slaves or
> pharaoh with a discussion about Ontology.

[My response:]
I've not seen any posts advocating a discussion of ontology, have you?? It
may be implied in the thought as a secondary concept, but it is not the point
of the Exodus 3:14 text according to the view i've presented or to any other
view posted here, as best i remember. (I say that because i feel like you
think you are arguing against an anachronistic theological reading, and this
is not the case. There are theological implications of the Hebrew text here
and elsewhere which the LXX and/or NT may pick up on and get further mileage
out of, but that is not the same thing as reading those concepts back in as
the main point of the OT/BH text.)

Dan Wagner