b-hebrew - Re: I AM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I AM
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 17:02:57 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bearpecs AT aol.com>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 2:13 AM

> In a message dated 5/6/01 11:38:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> dan.wagner AT netzero.net writes:
> > Whenever we find God as the subject of _EHYEH_ it indicates some aspect
> > of
> > God's relationship to His people.
>
> And this is why Buber & Rosenzweig chose to translate it I-will-be-there.

Yes, and that is a legitimate implication, but it's a mistake to take some or
even all of the implications and import them into our translation of the
name. We'd have to say more than merely "I-WILL-BE-THERE" because more than
that is implied in the covenant connotations. Or to focus on the problem with
that in another way, I-WILL-BE-THERE is too specific/limiting. To say merely
"I-AM" and leave it open-ended is more equivalent to the original intent, in
my opinion, which is what we need to do in translation. (Or if you prefer,
"I-WILL-BE," that's OK, but just remember that *constancy* of God's covenant
character is the main contextual issue in regards to how we deal with the
temporal aspect.)

Dan Wagner

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access