b-hebrew - Re: A new tack on 'asher

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: A new tack on 'asher
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:40:29 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <Numberup AT worldnet.att.net>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 3:37 PM

> "Subordination" has several meanings, and how does this
> affect a precise translation?

Solomon,

I think Clay Bartholomew's response to the rest of your post was helpful, but
i wanted to say something about your initial comment above:

When i used the term "precise" what i mean is that the narrowness or
broadness (which you reference, i.e., "several meanings" of subordination) of
the Hebrew _)a$ER_ is equivalent with our the grammatical concept of
"subordination" in English. Thus, i'm not entering into a discussion of
translation at this point, but still on the level of grammatical analysis. So
yes, i'll grant you that _)ASHER_ functions in more than one way as a "sign
of subordination", but that is precisely my point. No other English
grammatical description is precisely as broad, nor as narrow, as "sign of
subordination."

To be specific, "nominalizer" (Anderson? cited by Dave Washburn) is a bit too
narrow in that it only applies to some contexts or at least does not indicate
the full function of the term, and "relative pronoun" is likewise sometimes
too specific or at least non-equivalent with its function. And worse are the
mere English glosses that tell us almost *nothing* about the function of the
word, such as "who" "what" "which" "where" as all these and others have been
suggested for various contexts, and do in fact work in English frequently,
but do not *define* the function of the Hebrew term _)ASHER_. In our context
of Ex. 3:14, i believe it should be left untranslated, or else "translated"
only by punctuation in written English.

Dan Wagner