b-hebrew - RE: I AM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <speederson AT erols.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: I AM
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:11:53 -0400

Well . . . I don't know how helpful that illustration is. I don't know that
we should suggest the ancient Semites had no way of describing the future or
even that they had no way of distinguishing between future and present. It
seems to me that such an explanation is somewhat analogous to the suggestion
that grammatical gender is derived from animism.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics