b-hebrew - RE: future tense / inaccomplished aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <speederson AT erols.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: future tense / inaccomplished aspect
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:11:55 -0400

Well, if we lump together all of the prefix forms, we get uses in BH showing
past, present, future, modal, volitive, and probably just about any other
use of a tense form you can conceive. It seems to me that the trend is
toward seeing the expression of what we call "tense" in English, meaning the
time of the action relative to the speaking perspective, as a more complex
matter in BH than whether the verb is conjugated with a prefix. More and
more, context and the positioning of words in the sentence is becoming a
relevant issue, and many do still make a distinction between such forms as
wayyiqtol, yiqtol/yibneh, and yiqtol/yiben. The expression of time is often
viewed as somehow related to the tense form, but not in a one-to-one sense.
Of course, there are many differences of opinion, and this is still an area
where consensus seems almost impossible, but that's how the shape of current
scholarship looks to me.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics