b-hebrew - Re: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: H-Bible <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:19:15 -0600

On 1/19/01 6:28 PM, "Dan Wagner" <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net> wrote:

> [...]

I guess this is a bit late in the thread and I hope I haven't missed it
already being addressed, but I would have to agree with Dan here.

Liz, how can we, objectively and concretely demonstrate that redactors
always add and never subtract? There are all sorts of problems with this
(common) assertion, not the least of which is that not everyone can agree
upon which portions of a given biblical text belong to which "layer" of
redaction.

So, please elaborate/defend this assertion.

> (Obviously i don't accept RC, at least not on this kind of a theological
> agenda-based level.)

FWIW, I value redactional criticism, but we need to be careful about
artificially imposing boundaries upon the redactors.

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu