b-hebrew - Re: SahVoNaY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "The Wilens Family" <dwilens AT maranatha.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SahVoNaY
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:34:21 -0800

Thank you all for the info - it'll take a while to digest.

You're wrong Dave, in that I've taken correspondence courses, because I've
had no courses at all. I'm not upset though. I realize I was cheating
(instead of persuing proper sequence of study) by sending my elementary
questions to this list. I promise to fully digest all replies.

I was trying to make the text say that Jonah wanted to be lifted up "for all
to see." It seemed that everytime that form of N&) was used, it implied -
lift up "for all to see." Now I realize that form is just the 2nd persond
plural so of course all who lifted would see.

>David Stabnow wrote:
>
> David Wilens:
>
> In my response I neglected to commend you on your attempts to learn and
use
> Hebrew in your Bible study. Your frustration of "Knowing almost enough to
> be dangerous" is still better than those who do not try at all to access
> the language. As you continue your attempts I'm sure that you will
> accumulate knowledge, just as now you are learning about the imperative of
> verbs with an initial nun (peh-nun verbs).
>
> Don't get discouraged -- be strong and very courageous! Keep up the good
> work!
>
> Dave Stabnow
>

>> David Wilens wrote:
>>
>> In Jonah 1:12, Jonah says, "Lift me up and throw me into the sea." The
word
>> 'Lift' is &)WNY Sin Aleph Vav Nun Yod.
>>
>> Is the root word &)W Shin Aleph Vav?
>>
>> What's confusing me is that Strong's says the word is 5375 - N&) Nun Sin
>> Aleph. How can this be!?
>>
>> Knowing almost enough to be dangerous,
>> David Wilens

  • SahVoNaY, The Wilens Family, 01/21/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: SahVoNaY, David Stabnow, 01/22/2001
    • Re: SahVoNaY, David Stabnow, 01/22/2001
    • Re: SahVoNaY, The Wilens Family, 01/24/2001
    • Re: SahVoNaY, George Athas, 01/25/2001