b-hebrew - RE: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:29:46 -0500

Sorry, i overlooked a section...

> 3rd-I doesn't like Cyrus being called the Servant, Messiah, etc.

OK, this explains my posted question: "[Why would your "Trito-Isaiah" insert
it, anyway?]." But if you're right, he didn't do a good job editing the text
of Isa. 45:1 where Cyrus is called God's "messiah."

> But it makes no sense, without a great deal of juggling, to
> have Israel bring Israel back.

Well, i'll grant that your characterization of the view doesn't make much
sense, though i can explain it fairly well (i think). But according to some
it would be "off-list," so other than the hints i've made already, i'll
leave it to your curiosity! :)

Dan Wagner