b-hebrew - RE: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:42:21 -0500

I'm not saying that *we* think the texts are holy.
I'm saying that we assume that it was holy to those who
copied them. The image I guess is of monks in the monistaries
in the middle ages. They'd copy the texts to prevent them from
decay, etc. So a scribe could add something in the margin, but he
wouldn't knowingly delete something.

Of course, your comment had to do with redactors and not
copiests. One can look at the story of Noah. I think this is
discussed in Altar's book. It seems as if two separate stories were
combined and that stuff wasn't thrown out. You have a 40 day
flood and a 150 day flood. You have animals 2 x 2 in one place,
yet in another you have 7 pairs of the clean animals.

hope this helps,

Liz