b-hebrew - RE: RE: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: RE: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:30:07 -0700

> L.M. Barre wrote:
> >
> > Better, I think, to bring the arguments than to claim a view outdated.
> Yes, can we have some examples where SVO clauses are clearly meant
> to carry the narration along?

I want to be sure I understand you here: are you saying that the
only two possible options for SVO are either 1) pluperfect or 2) "to
carry the narration along"? If so, this is the problem. As Harold
Holmyard already pointed out, SVO is mainly used to provide
circumstantial information that may be, but need not necessarily
be, pluperfect. In fact it can be concurrent with the main line, or
even subsequent as required by the context. There are some
pluperfects, to be sure, but pluperfect is not the primary force of the
SVO construction.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Éist le glór Dé."