b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:53:13 +0100

Thank you, Liz, for your detailed explanation of what Rashi actually wrote,
which doesn't quite agree with previous claims of his support for different
interpretations. I will comment here only on the Hebrew grammar involved,
not on the interpretation drawn from it.

So Rashi's interpretation is different from any which we have looked at
before, including the one you proposed. In his interpretation, the first
main verb is not the HAYETAH of verse 2 but the WAYYO'MER of verse 3, and
the whole of verses 1 and 2 is a complex adverbial phrase of time. If I
remember rightly from what we discussed some time ago, it is not
unprecedented, though rare, for an adverbial phrase to precede a WAYYIQTOL
verb which it modifies, in which case the W- does not have copulative force.
(By contrast, your proposal is much less likely as it requires a constituent
order adverbial-phrase W-subject QATAL, which is otherwise unattested or
very nearly so.) But with Rashi's proposal there is a grammatical problem
with the HAYETAH, as this cannot be an infinitive or even a participle; but
I suppose the whole of verse 2 could be taken as parenthetical.

But I don't understand the part about "the syntatical rule that when, in a
narrative, an imperfect with vau conversive is followed by a perfect, it has
a pluperfect sense,t he action it describes having taken place previous to
the event mentioned immediately before it." This doesn't seem to be the
situation here. Do you mean "preceded by" rather than "followed by", and
that the "perfect" (QATAL) has pluperfect sense? That is the sort of rule I
would expect in Gesenius. But I don't see how Rashi can appeal to this rule;
for if verse 1 is an adverbial phrase modifying verse 3, verse 2 cannot be
an independent clause linked to verse 3 by regular syntactical rules, it
must be some kind of parenthesis. Also I think that we have realised in past
discussions on this list that any such rule is a gross over-simplification.

Peter Kirk

PS I'm glad to see (from Loren's posting) that I am in the excellent company
of James Barr (though I haven't seen his article) in how I still prefer to
interpret this verse, even after seeing Rashi's interpretation.