b-hebrew - RE: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:24:10 -0400

Yes, I think this is right. But this implies that the first positive act
occurs when
God speaks and says let there be light. Everything before that is adverbial
modifier,
the time when. So, yes, this is Rashi's view.

> (By contrast, your proposal is much less likely as it requires a
> constituent
> order adverbial-phrase W-subject QATAL, which is otherwise unattested or
> very nearly so.) But with Rashi's proposal there is a grammatical problem
> with the HAYETAH, as this cannot be an infinitive or even a
> participle; but
> I suppose the whole of verse 2 could be taken as parenthetical.
I guess it's at the same time as vs 1, but remember, Rashi changes the
bara to an infinite absolute, baro(.

> But I don't understand the part about "the syntatical rule that when, in a
> narrative, an imperfect with vau conversive is followed by a
> perfect, it has
> a pluperfect sense,t he action it describes having taken place previous to
> the event mentioned immediately before it." This doesn't seem to be the
> situation here.
Sorry, I'm incorrect here, I copied this from the wrong place. This applies
to a different verse, sorry. Forget this. I should have checked it more
carefully. Count it as haplography or my getting hungry for dinner or
something.

Liz