b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:19:06 +0100

The main thing which your translation lacks is that it is not ridiculously
over-literal. In particular, you changed "created" to "creating" have
dropped the "and" at the start of verse 2.

I and many (all?) others would dispute that the sky and the land were there
before God's creative activity. In fact the first verse quite clearly states
that God created them (though one might argue about when or the grammatical
relationships with what follows, or about tohu webohu perhaps being raw
material). So what you are putting forward as undisputed fact is in fact
directly contradicted by the text on every interpretation which I have ever
seen.

Peter Kirk