b-hebrew - Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Hildenbrand <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:19:18 -0700 (PDT)

We seem to be slipping in this thread. I sent what is written below out
to the list some time this past month. The issue is a non-issue. YOM in
Gen 1 linguistically *has* to refer to a day of the 24 hour variety.
That is a certainty. Now, what you DO with that is up to your theology.
It is not optional as to the intent of the author/editor of Gen 1. The
meaning of YOM is a linguistic question, not theological.

Michael

-------------------------------------

Actually, YOM falls into quite clear categories. When it is not augmented
(prefixed article or pronoun-like "b"- or in the plural) and used with
numbers, the word *always* refers to a literal day (some 200x), Gen 1 of
course being a battleground. Further in Gen 1, YOM is delimited by
"evening and morning" a phrase which is never used in reference to
anything other than a literal day. I am sure that we do not want to get
too deeply into this (presuppositions being what they are in this area)-I
don't either. BDB had this figured out a long time ago (they have these
categories very clearly set out). Also Evan-Shoshan divides up the usages
quite neatly.

Michael