b-hebrew - Re: Gen 2:17: Dying thou shalt die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kirk Lowery" <kelowery AT cs.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 2:17: Dying thou shalt die
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 18:03:14 -0400

Time out, please, ladies and gentlemen!

The moderators ask that you all please read your postings over once before
you send them so that they do not go outside the bounds of our "rules of
engagement." Those rules may be found at

<http://www.metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew/>

and I quote them here for your convenience:

o Debate that forces particular faith or doctrinal perspectives onto a
reading of the text is not appropriate subject matter for this forum.

o Proselytizing ("seeking to convert someone to a certain religious
faith") is also not appropriate. Naturally, each of us will share our
own understanding from our own perspective, but this should not be done
with the goal of changing other participants.

o Knowledge of Hebrew is assumed, but belittling someone for their lack
of skill or ridiculing someone for making a mistake -- even a basic one
-- is unacceptable.

o All list members should be allowed the dignity of being different.

o Discuss passionately, but keep control of your own emotions.

o Support your counterpoints with evidence, and remember to focus on
people's ideas and not the people themselves.

o Consider the possibility of responding directly to a person, rather
than to the entire list, if the content might not be of interest to
everyone.

o Each of your posts should be signed by name, so members know from whom
they are hearing and to whom they might respond.

One more thing: please watch your "To:" and "From:" headers carefully, and
note when someone is writing to you "offlist." It's possible to assume
that someone is writing to you in public when they are actually doing so
directly. Or vice versa.

We thank you for your observance of these rules!

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. Email: KELowery AT cs.com
Associate Director Phone: 215-572-3854
The Westminster Hebrew Institute Fax: 215-887-5404
Westminster Theological Seminary
P.O. Box 27,009
Philadelphia, PA 19118