b-hebrew - Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Hildenbrand <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
  • To: Peter Kirk <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:34:07 -0700 (PDT)

None of these passages have YOM used in conjunction with numbers, as in
Gen 1. My argument still stands.

As to "evening and morning": Since this phrase only occurs here, you
would have a case of special pleading if you took it any other way than
its constituant parts indicate. That is, evening should be taken as
"evening" and morning as "morning" unless otherwise indicated. In *every*
case where the two are used in the same sentence (some 35x in Bible
works), the words *never* bear any other meaning than the literal. This
makes the case for "evening and morning" in Gen 1 quite strong to
understand them to refer to the same evening and morning as we are
familiar with.

Michael