b-hebrew - RE: Gen 2:17: Dying thou shalt die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 2:17: Dying thou shalt die
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:26:36 -0500

<Thomas>
The author finds a solution to the seeming incoherence of 'you will surely
die' by pointing out that in Yahweh's eyes a thousand years is but a day. In
God's eyes Adam does not live out that fateful day.

<Bill>
While the explanation is Biblically based, I *personally* find that solution
a bit unsatisfying. It seems that Yaweh would be a poor communicator if He
used words according to a private meaning when communicating with others.

Of course, I haven't found anything more satisfying, though!

I was hoping the Hebrew would have other possible meanings - such as "from
the day" or some such other nuance.

Bill Ross