b-hebrew - RE: Gen 2:17: Dying thou shalt die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gen 2:17: Dying thou shalt die
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 13:38:31 -0400

Jim, if you don't mind my saying so, this is a very Christian, Pauline,
view. In what sense can you say their relationship with God ended????
Or that they died in a "spiritual" sense. I don't even know what that means.
God had them leave the garden, but they didn't leave *him*.
Eve says, after leaving the garden, "I have acquired a man from(?) YHWH."
YHWH is intimately involved with the doings of their sons.
When Cain kills Abel, YHWH put a mark on Cain, a mark of God's protection,
so that whoever killed Cain would suffer a 7-fold vengeance.
There is no way the relationship with God ended.
To view it this way is a Christological, Pauline, reading, imo.
It creates a problem, and then brings in the death of Christ to
repair the problem.
The story really is meant to show that God has a sustaining loving
relationship with you even tho you are not in your promised land.
It probably stems from the Babylonian exile.
People sin, are exiled, but God puts his mark on you,
sustains you, provides progeny.
This was also the message of Ezekiel:
God sustains you, cares for you, even in a strange new land.

Best,
Liz