b-hebrew - Re: challenges/questions for BH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mendell <dmendell AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Joseph Brian Tucker" <music AT riverviewcog.org>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: challenges/questions for BH
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:06:20 -0700

>4. Different terminology used by the different grammars. Can't we all just
>get along and have one set of terminology (but, I digress).

I am not sure if this is exactly what you are talking about, but I am
reminded of what a challange it has been trying to learn Hebrew when
different sources use different markings for vowels, or none at all, and
then there's the Rashi Hebrew, and then there's the Yiddish which is
written with a little twist of the Hebrew alphabet! However, once I got
past the initial frustration, I found that it has made me somewhat more
adaptive. I has the same experience when I discovered Ladino. Spanish is
actually my second language, so Ladino is alot of fun trying to figure out!

Susan Mendell