b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: July 11, 2000

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Darrell Jachim-Moore <dkmcto AT ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: July 11, 2000
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 05:50:46 -0400

> Subject: challenges/questions for BH
>
> shalom Hevre be-b-hebrew, Here are a couple questions for feedback: =
>

> 1. What are the biggest challenges to learning Biblical Hebrew and how can
> they be addressed or ameliorated?

One thing I can add as a student of BH (relatively new with 2 years of
graduate Hebrew) is that time with the text and continual vocabulary review
is key. After several months off from intensive work in the language due to
other school and life commitments I'm surprised at what seems to be my loss
of facility with reading Hebrew. I'm sure this will come back, but its
difficult. What I've determined is that daily work with BH is essential
even if I can't read a lot of text each and every day. In this regard,
there is a book of daily readings that include both Greek NT and Hebrew OT
with helpful notes for more challenging vocabulary, etc. (the book is More
Light on the Path--Daily Scripture Readings in Hebrew and Greek, by David
W. Baker and Elaine A. Heath. With limited time I need to incorporate
reading Hebrew as part of my morning prayers. Busy with grad school and
family, my Hebrew professor told a story about only being able to study the
language during prayer times figuring that Yahweh spoke to the ancients in
the language and ought to be able to again speak to us today in this way.
Also, I've contacted a local Synagogue and it looks like there is interest
in a weekly Hebrew reading group this fall that I'm excited about. This is
exciting on two fronts: (1) continuing exposure to the language and (2)
further insight into how our Jewish friends might interpret the texts.
Finally, I've ordered some tapes from a monastery in France where a native
from Israel reads the MT. I've ordered the book of Genesis to start, but
the entire MT is available. Here is another way of keeping in touch with
the text.

Thanx for your question. It's nice to know that many of us struggle with
finding enough time to really embark on this task.

Good luck.

darrell

  • Re: b-hebrew digest: July 11, 2000, Darrell Jachim-Moore, 07/12/2000