b-hebrew - Re: challenges/questions for BH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joseph Brian Tucker" <music AT riverviewcog.org>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: challenges/questions for BH
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:59:38

On 07/11/00, "yochanan bitan-buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>" wrote:
> 1. What are the biggest challenges to learning Biblical Hebrew and how ca=
> they be addressed or ameliorated?
1. The verb.
2. The inability to think Hebrew, especially when being taught from a
non-Hebrew or European pedagogy.
3. Lack of resonably priced support material for most students living on a
student budget.
4. Different terminology used by the different grammars. Can't we all just
get along and have one set of terminology (but, I digress).
5. Lack of willingness to put forth the hard effort.

> 2. Does anyone have any measurable data on what students 'typically' lear=
> in a 8, 12 or 16 semester credit US program?

8
My understanding from those in this type of program is that they basically
end up knowing how to do word studies.

12
These students tend to know syntax and grammar but still apply it like
Greek or other language.

16
Of which I reside, a capable of much more than the students of lesser
renown :)
Actually, there is a significant benefit to the two year approach in that
it allows for one to begin to apply principles of Hebrew discourse anaylsis
in concrete settings (book studies) that one doesn't have time to do in the
8 or 12 hr. program. Anticdotally speaking, the number students that make
it the second year is about half of the ones that started the program.

Todah
Joseph Brian Tucker
Riverview, MI
music AT riverviewcog.org