b-hebrew - Re: challenges/questions for BH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: clayton stirling bartholomew <c.s.bartholomew AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: challenges/questions for BH
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:44:42 -0700

on 07/11/00 2:56 PM, yochanan bitan-buth wrote:

> 1. What are the biggest challenges to learning Biblical Hebrew and how can
> they be addressed or ameliorated?

yochanan,

#1 Morphology is a big challenge

#2 Vocabulary is a big challenge

#3 syntax is relatively easy

Being a lazy student I started with #3 which is backwards but I only wanted
to know enough Hebrew to make the LXX understandable. I was able to achieve
this goal in a relatively brief period (several years) by studying syntax
first.

BTW, this is how I learned Greek as well. I started with syntax and picked
up morphology on the fly as I was studying syntax. I worked so well with NT
Greek that I was tempted to write a book called "Learning NT Greek in only
Five Hours a Day." My problem with Hebrew is that there are only so many
hours in a day and when you take a few hours for NT Greek and a few hours
now and then for Attic Tragedy and Homer then Hebrew just doesn't ever get
much time.

I don't know how problems #1 and #2 can be solved short of massive exposure
to the text (thousands of hours of reading).

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point