b-hebrew - Re: "Is Biblical Hebrew a Language?"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "Is Biblical Hebrew a Language?"
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:43:12 +0100

I agree with Charles' reply to the following. Someone once said that "a
language is a dialect with an army", or one might say with a nation state.
It is indeed this type of sociolinguistic factor which makes Danish a
language and not a regional dialect of Swedish, whereas Scots is considered
by most (here in England at least) as a dialect of English. Well, the
Hebrews had their own nation state and army, during the monarchy (if this is
not entirely legendary!) and during the Hasmonean period. So that is enough
for their variety of Canaanite to be counted as a separate language, of (one
variety of) which we see a limited sample in the Hebrew Bible.

Peter Kirk