b-hebrew - RE: "Is Biblical Hebrew a Language?"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Is Biblical Hebrew a Language?"
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 08:36:03 +0200

To Jonathan,

Well, if only Shakespeare. The English educated people will tell you about
an amazingly collection of words in Shakespeare's works. I once heard 35.000
but that cannot be true but Shakespeare's language abilities was far beyond
any other person I know of, so his example was probably not a very well
chosen one.

To Charles, who wrote:

In my view, Ullendorf is almost certainly correct. In fact, it may be more
appropriate to speak of biblical Hebrew as a dialect of Canaanite than as a
language proper.

maybe a dialect for writing biblical literature?

NP