b-hebrew - RE: "Is Biblical Hebrew a Language?" III

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Maria Solarez' <funi AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Is Biblical Hebrew a Language?" III
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:50:26 +0200

BH is a dialect within the language family of Northwest Semitic, also known
as Amoritic, attested since the second half of the 3rd millenium BCE. It is
well attested especially in Amorite names in the Mari letter (Huffmon wrote
a book about those thirty years ago); it's the dialect behind the Amarna
letters written in Syrian And Palestine, and it is of course very well
attested in a North Syrian form from the LBA in the texts from Ugarit. Then
a few letters in 'Ugaritic' cuneiform from Ta'anekh and other places. 1st
millennium see a diversification in a number of dialects, Phoenician,
Palestinian Hebrew (inscriptions), Moabite, Ammonite. Then we have BH and
diverse developments of the language in espec. Qumran literature and more.

NPL