b-hebrew - Ur of the Chaldees, various proposals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Ur of the Chaldees, various proposals
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 8:10:35

Joe Baker wrote:

> Pedubast's foe is called Aslstny son of wsHrnf. This is supposed to be
> Assurakhiddina son of Sinakheriba. Kitchen makes a good case for
> Assurakhiddina and a so-so case for Sinakheriba, but if Herodotos knew of
> these cycles then how could he get the name Sanacharibos from wsHrnf.
>
> Its impossible - he got the name from elswhere. My last post showed the
> form of the name came from a west Syrian source and the only one we know of
> today is the Bible. That is from a Hebrew scholar - a Syrian of Palestine.
> (Incidently in Herodotos the Syrians of Palestine were not just Jews and
> Israelites - quite a few other people are covered by this term).

Dear Joe Baker, you should consider my argument as an example for the
occurence
of Assyrian royal names in Egyptian historical texts (yxou negated), not
for the
standard Egyptian rendering of Senacheribs name.

Furthermore there are interesting parallels between the heroical narrative
style
of these demotic tales and Herodots story.

Furthermore there is no ground to assume any Judean provenience of the
tale,
since there is no reflection of a Judahite story-teller perspective. To
assume
first provenience you would need more than simply the corect transcription
of
the Assyrian name (you assume the Egyptian were not able to provide).
No Judahite source would narrate the story about Senacheribs defeat
without
telling anything about Hiskija, Jerusalem or else. The story is a part in
continuity of stories concerning the late Egyptian history. You can not
take it
appart without explaining than, where do the rest of the Egyptian
Herodotean
stories come from. Maybe (snip!) from the same Judahite source?

Best,

Banyai Michael