b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 9:24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "Noel O'Riordan" <nor AT iol.ie>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 9:24
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 05:50:10 +0200

Dear Noel,

My research has indicated that the notion of "hail mixed with fire", hurled
from heaven by God upon Israel's enemies (Ex 9:24) that your question
alludes to, is mirrored in Assyrian hymns to their national god, Asshur.

See below, on an earlier letter posted to Ancien-L about God being portrayed
as Firey in the Old Testament:

Dear Mr. Lincoln,

Thankyou for the information on the Indian gods as a possible source to
explore.

In regards to Marduk and Asshur as firey gods, the sources are hymns
praising these gods in
Neo-Assyrian and Neo-Babylonian. Marduk in the Enuma Elish, recited in the
Spring, is said to
have his body filled with flaming fire as he readies himself for combat with
Tiamat, whom he defeats
(Tiamat symbolizing the forces of chaos). Scholars have noted that evidently
after the conquest of
Babylon by the Assyrians, that the Assyrian version of the Enuma Elish
substituted Marduk's name
with that of Asshur. Thus Asshur is now the god who's body is filled with
firey flames in his struggle
with Tiamat.

Neo-Assyrian prophetic oracles composed partly in prose and poetry, mention
Asshur answering
the Assyrian king's prayers for divine help against his enemies. Asshur
answers the king, saying that
as a firey glow he issued forth from the gate of heaven, hurling down from
the heavens fire upon the
foe, driving them up into the mountains, where stones and fire from heaven
consumed them.

Other verses, Babylonian, mention that Marduk's sword and his fire consumes
the enemy. Marduk is
also described as opening his mouth and flames of fire issue forth. All this
firey imagery can be found
in the OT.

The sources:

Stephanie Dalley, Myths from Mesopotamia: Creation, the Flood, Gilgamesh and
Others, Oxford
Univ. Press, 1991, paperback-
"His body was filled with an ever-blazing flame. He made a net to encircle
Tiamat within it..."
(p.251, Dalley)
"The success of the hero-god Marduk (in the Babylonian version, Assur in the
Assyrian version) is a
foregone conclusion...It is usually assumed that the version featuring
Asshur is secondary, for no
traces of Assyrian dialect are apparent." (p.228, Dalley)

Simo Parpola, Assyrian Prophecies, State Archives of Assyria, Vol. IX,
Helsinki Univ. Press, 1997-

"You [the Assyrian King] opened your mouth and cried:
Hear me, O Asshur !
I heard your cry. I issued forth as a firey glow from the gate of heaven, to
hurl down fire and have it
devour them...I drove them up the mountain and rained (hail) stones and fire
of heaven upon them."
(I forgot to write the page number on this, but it is from Parpola)