b-hebrew - Re: Ur of the Chaldees, various proposals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joe Baker <joebaker AT cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Ur of the Chaldees, various proposals
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:10:52 +0800

ON 7 JUNE BANYAI MICHAEL SAID
<quote> The Senacheribos story is overtly in all late antique sources an
Egyptian tradition, not a hebrew one. </quote>

I QUERIED THIS AND SAID
<quote> Sanacharibos is a perfect Greek translation of Hebrew "snHryb"
</quote>

HE REPLIED ON 8 JUNE
<quote> It surely came directly from a demotic Egyptian tale source. There
are various demotic historic Egyptian tales preserving the names of
Assyrian 7-th century rulers, such the Pedubastis cyclus or the "Combat for
the breastplate of Inaros". Take a look in Kitchen. </quote>

I RESPOND
Pedubast's foe is called Aslstny son of wsHrnf. This is supposed to be
Assurakhiddina son of Sinakheriba. Kitchen makes a good case for
Assurakhiddina and a so-so case for Sinakheriba, but if Herodotos knew of
these cycles then how could he get the name Sanacharibos from wsHrnf.

Its impossible - he got the name from elswhere. My last post showed the
form of the name came from a west Syrian source and the only one we know of
today is the Bible. That is from a Hebrew scholar - a Syrian of Palestine.
(Incidently in Herodotos the Syrians of Palestine were not just Jews and
Israelites - quite a few other people are covered by this term).

Regards
Joe Baker ===========\
Perth |
Western Australia ===/