b-hebrew - Re: End of Malachi: Kherem.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <parousia_occ AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: End of Malachi: Kherem.
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 5:44:45

Leviticus 27:21 indicates the a field consecrated to the Lord "becomes
under certain conditions" "as a field of the devotion." (BDB)

BDB also says that << pen-'avo' vehikeiti 'et-ha'aretz kheirem >> (I find
the transliteration scheme annoying and hope you understand my
transliteration. If not, get out your copy of the Tanach and see it for
yourself in living color.) should be "let I smite the land with a ban, i.e.
utterly destroy it." (p. 356)

The sense is that Malachi is warning the people to turn to God when Elijah
appears and warns them, or else He will destroy the land.

Jason Hare
ozark Christian College