b-hebrew - RE: End of Malachi: Kherem.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: End of Malachi: Kherem.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:14:10 -0500

On 21 Feb 00, at 14:31, Liz Fried wrote:

> This is very interesting, Lewis.
> The application of Herem to land is seen in Lev. 27: 21.

What we know of herem from the way the word is used in the Pentateuch seems
to indicate that it is a special category of qodesh; Rashi on Lev. 27:21
refers to Num 18:14, which provides that all herem goes to the priest. Deut
7:25 stands out as an exception - here herem is something very
different, and seems to connect to the incident of Achan in Joshua.

> The land is not going to be destroyed, it simply becomes temple
> property. I have long thought that these verses in Leviticus showed
> that the temple did own land in the Persian period and before. It
> acquired land in the same way other temples in the ane did, from
> making loans to those who couldn't repay.

I'm not sure I see that - the provision in Leviticus has to do not with
loans, but with someone who dedicated his land to be qodesh. If
we were dealing with regular loans, would there have been any need
for Hillel to institute the famous prozbul?

> Speculating about Malachi, it may simply mean that people would
> become in a position in which they couldn't pay their debts, and
> the land would revert to the temple. That is, God will come and
> take the land and devote it to himself.

That's an intriguing interpretation, but it somehow doesn't seem to
me a dire enough consequence that it would take Elijah's
appearance before the great and terrible day of YHWH to avert.
And then there's Malachi's interesting use of the verb v'hiketi; I don't
think there are other uses of the word herem that use such plague-
like lanuage.

Any thoughts about why the traditional commentaries seem to
interpret it as some kind of destruction, and why one might translate
into English as a curse?

Lewis Reich