b-hebrew - Re[2]: Diachronic study (was Purpose for discussion)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Diachronic study (was Purpose for discussion)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 12:12:14 -0500

Actually this is not an argument from silence. We do have a source
which names Belshazzar as the "son" of Nebuchadnezzar. (But where does
it say that he was his immediate successor?) The same source names
Darius the Mede as king of Babylon. This source is of uncertain date
and reliability. But there is no reason to question it if (as here)
other sources do not contradict it. We generally accept, at least
provisionally, other ancient historical sources (e.g. Herodotus,
Caesar) even when they are much later and uncorroborated. In fact here
we have some rather partial (and ambiguous) corroboration. Why can we
not give the same provisional acceptance to our historical source in
this case?

Peter Kirk