b-hebrew - Re: End of Malachi: Kherem.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: End of Malachi: Kherem.
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 23:22:18 +0000

On Mon 21 Feb 2000 (01:33:07), lewreich AT javanet.com wrote:
> The traditional Jewish commentaries indicate that some dire destruction
> or desolation is portended here, which is not what I associate with
> the literal meaning of "kherem", but strikes me as a reasonable
> interpretation. What
> puzzled me is why the English would have "curse", rather than, say
> "strike the land desolate".
>
> Is this the generally accepted rendering in English (I have only one
> translation at hand)?

Probably; but IMHO the CheReM implies the total devotion to destruction
such as befell Joshua's Jericho (Joshua 4:17-18). The exception was the
silver, gold, brass and iron, which were QoDe$: consecrated for the use
of YHWH, as opposed to being destroyed for the glory of YHWH.

Following Adam's sin, the earth was "cursed" 'a:RuWRaH for his sake.
This 'aRaR is spelt out in detail in Deuteronomy 28:15-68. If that is not
bad enough, Malachi's CheReM is even worse, isn't it? Like Jericho's
fate?

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF