b-hebrew - Re[4]: End of Malachi: Kherem.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: End of Malachi: Kherem.
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 14:40:46 -0500

I can see a lot of fascinating ideas to explore around this theme,
though some go rather far from b-hebrew. Yes, clearly in Deu 7:25 as
in the Achan incident XEREM is something to be avoided, even something
unclean and detestable, if used in any way other than what YHWH has
decided. So the idea is here more similar to the Arabic one. I wonder
if the idea here is that the item or land is really YHWH's but has
been misused for idolatrous purposes; of course YHWH can only accept
back his own if it is first purged utterly of evil e.g. by being
burned or completely devastated. There may be a link to the
destruction of the earth by fire in Isaiah 24 and to the fallow period
for the land to "enjoy its sabbaths" in Leviticus 26. And I wonder if
later commentators, whether Jewish or Christian, have semi-consciously
interpreted the end of Malachi in the light of the destruction of
Jerusalem in 70 CE or perhaps in other periods. As a result I am not
very happy with the translation "curse" in Malachi, perhaps better
would be something like "devastation".

Peter Kirk