b-hebrew - Re: Purpose for discussion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Purpose for discussion
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 06:02:20 +0800

Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

> There are many reasons for following this lead. The majority of my
opponents
> have admitted--if I am not totally wrong--their evangelical
background. Now
> it is wisely against the charter of the list to discuss personal
religion,
> so i will abstain from that. It should however, be the duty of
scholars not
> belonging to this fraternity to stand up when they see a discussion
coming
> up which is misleading, out of date, nutured by beliefs that have been
> rejected in scholarship at large.

Professor,

I, for one, have read and understood your points and those of the others
trying to bring us back into line with what the "scholars" accept. I
have weighed them against my understanding of the texts and of the world
in general. I have also noted where they are based on interpretations
and theories for which you and the others "correcting" us are no longer
overtly stating the assumptions and possible sources of error, which you
are taking as "fact." You have done your job. Now, in the light of
Ezekiel 33:4, will you please allow us the right to either accept or
reject your alarm and move on?

Also, I'm not sure what *you* define as an "evangelical background," as
that term has been applied to many disparate groups. Please, don't try
to define it! But your use of it does smack a bit of labelling, which
may be interpreted as ad hominem. I'm sure that painting with so wide a
brush was not your intent.

Yours,

Paul

----