b-hebrew - Re: Purpose for discussion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Purpose for discussion
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:04:13 +0800

Dear Ian and Prof Lemche,

Actually, I have no problem with discussions of historical matters.
And, Professor, I spend a good bit of time trying to learn the breadth
of not only historical treatments, but also theological treatments of
the texts. But we keep hearing the chant, "Deal with the data," and I
repeat my contention that there are not the experts here to do that.
You just can't get blood out of turnip, no matter how often you shout at
it to give up some blood.

I agree that the "evangelicals" should not get the impression that they
have won the day if indeed they have not. But if the arguments are not
going anywhere, is it not as honorable to simply write, "You have not
convinced me. Let's just agree to disagree."?

Professor, if I recall correctly, you and I have lived peaceably on this
list for more than a couple years. We don't always see eye-to-eye, but
we respect the other's right to be different. That is what seems to be
lacking in the historical discussions of the recent months.

Anyway, I've said my piece and I'll crawl back in under my rock, if you
all will permit me. After all, I have a new job to learn!

Paul

-----

Paul R. Zellmer
Interim Director of Foreign Missions