b-hebrew - Purpose for discussion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Purpose for discussion
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 07:46:28 +0800

Ian (and NPL, et al.),

There is something else that I would like to understand. What exactly
are we hoping to accomplish with this extended discussion on
historiology? Are you looking for a scholarly discussion of the timing
of events if they occurred as presented in the Hebrew scriptures? If
so, I'm afraid that you are in the wrong forum.

To expand on (and reverse) NPL's previous analogy, you are talking to
"auto mechanics," for I am convinced that most of us joined this list
because we wanted further insight into the language of the Hebrew bible.
We neither have the background nor the inclination to do in-depth
historical studies unless they can teach us something about the text as
we have it. Oh, we do have some understanding about the historical
questions, but so far you have not demonstrated the smallest
significance on the language that is caused by holding that the events
of the Pentateuch actually occurred as written, never occurred, or
occurred in some "kernel of truth" form.

So please, if you will, inform us as to why you see this as a critical
study for this forum. If it is to find a scholarly discussion, I
believe those scholars live en masse on lists like ANE, but,
regretably(?), not here.

Paul

----

Ibanag Translation Project