b-hebrew - RE: Purpose for discussion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Paul Zellmer' <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Purpose for discussion
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:41:51 +0100

Just one question for a strater. Why are we the persons you address and not
the person who have been so outspoken in favour of a rearrangement of
chronology--biblical and ANE--with such important consequences, yet almost
without the slightest hint of evidence in support? And what about Hebrew?
Several of the contributors have mentioned that they do not read Hebrew. And
if it is a Biblical Hebrew list exclusively, why an open list and not a list
limited to the professionals in this business, i.e. the Hebrew Bible?

I have nothing against discussing Hebrew as a language in a professional
way. I do it every day at the university. But if you overlook the postings
from the last few months, you will see that it is really the historical
questions that interest people. And I think that I am excused for not
leaving the battle ground to evangelical people who know the truth--or so it
seems. So maybe you should back to your mail and readdress it to the right
people.

NPL