b-hebrew - Re: when the rohl is called up yonder....

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: when the rohl is called up yonder....
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 07:13:27 -0700

Jim,
> >who is this Rohl and why do people care so much what he thinks?????

Contra Ian's typical ad hominems, David Rohl is an egyptologist
who dared to set forth a new idea. Again contra Ian's uninformed
railings, Rohl's goal was NOT to substantiate the biblical materials;
the fact is, by his own words, that he really didn't care. He's not a
Bible-thumper, no matter how some want to write him off as one.
He took the Egyptian evidence, including inscriptions, papyri, Nile
flood records and the latest archaeological evidence, and found a
glitch in the common dating of the Third Intermediate Period. One
of the most informative parts of his book has to do with how much
of our ANE dating is dependent on Egypt. As he pointed out, if our
dating of Egypt is off by as little as 100-150 years (about the size
of the glitch he found) then the whole region's dating is off. The
American edition of his book is called "Pharaohs and Kings" and
it's good reading with profuse footnotes on the scholarly literature.
I suggest you check it out.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11