b-hebrew - RE: when the rohl is called up yonder....

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Ian Hutchesson' <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: when the rohl is called up yonder....
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:50:43 +0100

> At 15.43 12/02/00 -0500, Jim West wrote:
> >At 11:46 PM 2/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >>Since Dave won't answer you, I guess, I will. The answer is simple:
> >>
> >>Yes until you have read what Rohl has written, including the
> >>footnotes.
> >
> >who is this Rohl and why do people care so much what he thinks?????
>
> Rohl is one of these bible is true merchants who wrote a book called "A
> Test of Time" which Peter has uncritically been putting forward as serious
> historical research. The book asserts a revisionist chronology of ANE
> history, moving Ramses II from the 13th century down to the tenth. The
> motivation is to give support to historically difficult passages of the
> bible. To do so he claims to falsify all the ANE datings for several
> centuries.
>

> Ian

So you see that when the limu-list goes back to almost 1000 BCE (as
far as I know them), and we still have to count from all Assyrian kings
between Ashshur-uballit (1366-1330) and Shalmanasser III (858-823),
including figures like Tukulti-Ninurta (1244-1208), and Tiglat-Pileser I
(1115-1077), not to speak of Bbaylonians and Egyptian kings. If Ramses is
moved into the tenth century, Hattushilish will also have to be moved (we
have some of the letters they exchanged), and then also Ashshur-uballit I
who should in this way be overlapping the evidence of the limu lists from
Assyria. I begin to understand why Rohl has not finished his ph.d.

NPL