b-hebrew - Re: Re[8]: Habiru and Joshua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[8]: Habiru and Joshua
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 17:47:36 -0500

Jonathan,

I agree with your basic declaration that we are essentially unable to
falsify much of what we discuss. We are, after all, dealing with
probabilites rather than certainties. I do not believe its possible to
coordinate Joshua with the Habiru. Neither do I believe that the evidence
of archaeology will support anything like a "conquest". Its just not there.
But, I must hasten to add, I DO NOT think you're out in left field. I
frequently speculate about things and toss them out there to see how they
fly. Usually they are mercilessly cut down and I just let them die a
natural death. But sometimes I hold on to my idiosyncratic ideas because,
after all, I damned may well be right!!!! Only God knows- and he ain't
saying!

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD