b-hebrew - Re[8]: Habiru and Joshua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[8]: Habiru and Joshua
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 23:23:52 +0100

---------- Original Message ----------

>Jonathan Bailey wrote:

>>My question, after all the blather from Dr. Barré, remains the same.

>One may disagree with Dr. Barre, but one should not use insulting language.
>Sincerely yours,
>Jonathan D, Safren

If Dr. Barré was insulted, he can say so and I will make amends to the best
of my
ability. I, frankly, was insulted by him coming at me like he was some sort
of Vulcan
wiseman without saying anything substantial at all. His reply was
condescending, full
of mocking (bad) humor, and utterly without substance or relevance. Sometimes
I get
hit a little too hard and am unable to play the eved ha-shem that I strive to
emulate.

"Truth is not a sociological vote. Besides, would you all be the precious
Evangelicals?
You've been sociologically assigned to linguistics and textual criticism.
Apply to
Harvard. Ask for Frank Cross."

Replies like that from Dr. Barré will not invite civility. Could I get you to
slap him on the
wrist too, Jonathan?

"If there are many wisemen in a city, this means that the city will soon
fall."
Babylonian proverb

Jonathan Bailey
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien