b-hebrew - Habiru and Joshua

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Habiru and Joshua
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:26:16 +0100

The Habiru of Amarna letters are starting to sound a lot like Joshua and his
crew.
Remember, the MT dating of 1446 and Wandering until 1406, then an early in
the 14th
century date for Joshua's conquests fits pretty well with much of the time of
the
Amarna letters. Now by "Joshua and his crew" I am not just talking about the
specific
conquests of Joshua in his book, but also the "claiming the land" conquests
in the
next generation described in Judges.

I have not been following this whole thread, so forgive me if this has
already been
brought up. It seems, however, that a conservative can hardly miss this
connection.

Any thoughts?

"If there are many wisemen in a city, this means that the city will soon
fall."
Babylonian proverb

Jonathan Bailey
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien