b-hebrew - Re[2]: Genesis and Gilgamesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Genesis and Gilgamesh
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:32:07 -0500

Although David Rohl (in "Legend" pp.54-58) shows an appalling
ignorance of the Azerbaijani language ;-( he does seem to be on firm
ground when he argues for the four rivers of Genesis 2:11-14 being:

1) Pishon = (Azerbaijani) Qyzyl Uzan (means "swimming with gold")
(but this is the least certain of the four)
2) Gihon = (Arabic) Jeyhun = (Azerbaijani) Araz = (Greek) Araxes
(which flows through the land of Cush = (classical) Cossaea)
3) Tigris
4) Euphrates

This firmly locates the Garden of Eden (as envisaged by the author of
Genesis) around Lake Urmia.

But I would be interested in evidence for an Arabian Pishon.

Peter Kirk