b-hebrew - SV: Genesis and Gilgamesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'Jonathan D. Safren'" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Genesis and Gilgamesh
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:25:08 +0100

As far as I remember,

there was something about a redaction (removing the verses about the temple)
in an article by Wright and Freedman (definitely Freedman), I believe in the
JNES more than 40 years ago.

Our German colleagues have never been afraid of assuming even extensive
redactions of biblical poetry. The latesr example I saw is Volkmar Fritz's
analysis of the redactions of the Song of Deborah, in his volume about the
immigration in the Biblische Enzyclopädie series (vol 2), but it is in
German.

On an oral level, poetry is edited all the time...compare Lord, Singer of
Tales. As such I do not think it all too problematic to assume redaction
phases also of poetry, but there need to be a good reason for assuming it,
and we know very little about the rules of ancient Hebrew poetry, metre and
such things, so we should be extremely careful.

NPL