b-hebrew - Re: Genesis and Gilgamesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis and Gilgamesh
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:05:41 +0200

Rolf Furuli wrote:

> Frankly speaking, we know nothing about the origin of Hebrew Bible
> autographs, and I see no compelling reason to reject the possibility that
> such manuscripts existed before the time of the oldest copies of
> Athrahasis, Enuma Elish, and Gilgamesh.

Along these same lines, it would be good to remember the
discovery a few years ago of what appears to be the ancient
Pishon River described in Genesis 2, apparently dried up and
buried in sand some 1000 years before Abraham, yet its
ancient course is preserved in no other known ancient source
except Genesis. And by the way, the discovery was made by a
"humanist scholar" who saw this evidence and said "now I am
recanting."

John Ronning