b-hebrew - RE: Genesis and Gilgamesh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'Jonathan D. Safren'" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Genesis and Gilgamesh
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:29:48 +0100

And according to Exod 15, the exodus only stopped when they entered the
mountain of God, i.e. when the temple was built. Maybe a link to a spurious
tradition in a hellenistic source--I believe it was Diodorus but do not kill
me if I am wrong, that Moses built the temple when he came from Egypt. Goes
also well with the strange note about the nehushtan that was thrown out of
the temple by Hezekiah: Why, if it was Moses' cobber snake.

NPL